Thursday, August 23, 2012

Scents of Style

Parfum. Cologne. Body Spray. Eau de Toilette. Essential Oils. Perfume



"What you wear is how you present yourself to 
the world, especially today, when human contacts
are so quick. Fashion is instant language."
~ Miuccia Prada

It's hard to argue with Ms. Prada... and though she didn't specifically spell it out, I think that what you wear goes beyond just your clothes, shoes and accessories. I think the way you smell, and the makeup you may or may not choose to wear on a regular basis, counts too.

I  {SS} have always had a very sensitive sense of smell and have often associated certain scents with people, places, or times in my life... like the blackberry soap my mother gave me to use my freshmen year of college, or the warm vanilla sugar body spray that I wore the first summer that I worked at summer camp.

{ Source }
During my senior year of high school my family and I spent two weeks in Europe. While in Paris I fell in love with the perfume Chanel Chance and it soon became my signature scent. All throughout college I rarely left home without a spritz or two of Chance and my friends always knew I was near when they smelled it.


Despite adoring the smell of Chanel Chance, I stopped wearing it after I graduated. I loved it so much, but every time I smelled it, I was completely brought back to being in college. While I loved college I needed to move forward to the next chapter of my life, and find the next scent to represent it! I guess that some people might say I give fragrances too much power but I can't help the fact that so much of what I smell becomes associated with what I experience.


Since graduating I've settled in with a few scents, which I alternate between. I didn't stray too far actually... My favorite is Chanel Chance Eau Fraîche and then I also like to wear Chanel Chance Eau Tendre and Coco Chanel. I like the Eau Fraîche for everyday because it is light and sweet with a lingering pleasant scent. The Eau Tendre is great for the summer because it's even lighter and has more of a fresh smell to it, and Coco is good for more winter-y weather because it's a bit heavier and spicier.


"Fragrance is the only thing that's about 
your being, your soul, and it's for people size zero to 
twenty-two and ages twelve to ninety."
~ Michael Kors


To me experimenting with scents is a fun way to spice up my style (no pun intended). I love that my monthly Birchbox boxes often come with perfume samples that I can try out. My newest favorite is Bvlgari Omnia Crystalline.

Do fragrances play a role in the way you think of or identify with your style? Do you like mixing things up by trying different scents or layering scents, or do you religiously wear one perfume only?



xo, SS

No comments:

Post a Comment

{ Blog Archive }