Friday, August 17, 2012

{Flash} Me?

{SS} here!

Let's talk for a minute about flashing. Yeah... that's right, flashing. I'm thinking of incorporating it into {mynewstyle}, you know as a, "I'm stylish through and through" type of thing...

What do you think?


An old photograph of SS & KH getting crazy at the Capitol!


Okay, okay, I'm obviously kidding. I'm actually talking about flash sales sites. Websites where a single item is offered at a deeply discounted price for a short period of time (usually 24-48 hours). These sites  usually require you to be member, which sometimes is as easy as just joining, and other times requires you to get an invitation.

So, after reading {kh}'s post yesterday about store credit cards, I thought I'd follow up and talk a bit about flash sale sites, which have become super popular in the fashion world.

Let me start out by saying, I have never purchased anything from a flash sale site, however, I have had a number of friends who have both successfully and unsuccessfully ordered things from sites such as: Rue La La, Gilt, Hautelook and Ideeli.

Now if you love these sites, I'd love to hear about it, but here's why I don't, or at least haven't yet, utilize these sites:


  • They take too much time: In order to get the "best" deals on these sites, you have to be checking them and reading the e-mails they send out daily, something that I just don't like to do. 
  • They aren't always the best deals: Often these sites tack on high shipping fees which raise the price, and better deals can be found on sites like Zappos which always offers free shipping (and returns). 
  • They make returns hard: These sites often don't allow returns, only give site credit for returns, or charge hefty fees for returns.
  • They require you to make impulse decisions and are too tempting: Often times on these sites the daily deal is something that I don't need or even want, but upon seeing it I began to think that I should have it because it's such a good price for such a good brand or whatever. I have enough issues as it is with shopping, so certainly don't something like this to tempt me into making an impulse purchase.  
  • They require instant commitment: I'm a bit of a commitment phobe-- I can't tell you how many times I walk through the whole store carrying something I intend to purchase, only to decide against it at the last minute as I'm checking out. I like to have the option of being able to think about something for a while- go home and figure out if it's something that I really need AND that I really can afford. With flash sale sites if you don't make the purchase right away, you miss out on the "deal". 

I'd love to hear what you all think about flash sites!


xo, SS

No comments:

Post a Comment

{ Blog Archive }